As Director of UCSB’s Project RISE, I lead a research team that develops and studies interventions to support the psychological health of LGBTQ individuals and communities. My expertise on bisexuality has been solicited by the Institute of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health, and the White House. I have received honors for my research and advocacy from the American Psychological Association, the California Asian & Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus, and my local LGBT community. My TEDx Talk on bisexuality has been viewed over 90,000 times, I teach an undergraduate course at UCSB on bisexuality, and I tweet bisexual haiku (#biku). Descriptions of some presentations and workshops on LGBTQ issues is available here.
Some of my publications on bisexuality
- Israel, T. (2018). Bisexuality: From margin to center. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 5 (2), 233-242. DOI:10.1037/sgd0000294
- Israel, T., Choi, A. Y., Goodman, J. A., Matsuno, E., Lin, Y. J., Kary, K. G., & Merrill, C. R. S. (2019). Reducing internalized binegativity: Development and efficacy of an online intervention. Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 6 (2), 149-159. DOI: 10.1037/sgd0000314
- Israel, T. (2018). Envisioning bisexuality as inclusive, celebratory, and liberatory. In J. Swan & S. Habibi (Eds.) Bisexuality: Theories, Research, and Recommendations for the Invisible Sexuality (pp. 189-193). New York: Springer.
- Israel, T. (Ed.) (2010). Special issue on bisexuality and youth. Journal of Bisexuality.
- Vencill, J. A., & Israel, T. (Eds.) (2018). Shining a light into the darkness: Bisexuality and relationships. Special issue of Sexual and Relationship Therapy.
- Choi, A. Y., & Israel, T. (2019). Affirmative mental health practice with bisexual clients: Evidence-based strategies. In J. E. Pachankis & S. A. Safren (Eds.), The handbook of evidence-based mental health practice with sexual and gender minority clients (pp. 149-174). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Choi, A. Y., Nylund-Gibson, K., Israel, T., & Mendez, S. E. A. (2019). A latent profile analysis of bisexual identity: Evidence of within-group diversity. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48 (1), 113-130. doi: 10.1007/s10508-018-1325-1